About Me

My photo
“It isn't enough for your heart to break because everybody's heart is broken now.” -Allen Ginsberg

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Country's Proudest Moment

Saying that yesterday was one of the best days in this nation's history would be one of the biggest understatements of all time, but I will say this: I have scarcely ever felt this kind of joy or pride for any one moment in my life. When Obama was sworn in as this nation's newest President, I had tears in my eyes (and not just from the bitter cold) and my heart felt -- for lack of a better word -- full. There has never been such a distinct beginning of a positive era during my lifetime and I'm honestly not sure if there ever will be again. I was alive to see this day happen and that it wasn't just some event that would be honored by my children -- and I am happy that I was living in the nation's capitol while it all happened! Being downtown with everyone, sharing in this moment, being surrounded by the energy in the air -- hearing those golden words as Obama accepted the Presidency.... it was one of the best experiences I've ever been honored to be apart of. I won't compare Obama to some sort of god or hold him up to unrealistic standards, but I will say this: I believe this country in entering a golden age. Maybe not necessarily of prosperity because I know how messed up our economy is and I understand how long it will be before it is fixed, but perhaps a golden age of understanding and acceptance and tolerance. I feel like things are shifting, finally, and people are ready to accept that the world needs to change to be a better place. I am so proud and so happy to live in the US right now! And I can only hope and pray that things will only go up from here. :)

1 comment:

sarah said...

ummmmm LOST.

wowwwweeee kazowie.

that's all i have to say. we can discuss on saturday. hahaha