About Me

My photo
“It isn't enough for your heart to break because everybody's heart is broken now.” -Allen Ginsberg

Friday, February 20, 2009

Update Central

As per usual, it's been a while since I've written a post here, but not as long as I usually go so kudos to me! Things are going well: work's ok, school's almost done (3 more months to go!), and my new position at NPR is just around the corner! I'm pretty jazzed about all the new opportunities circling around me -- plus, I've been seeing more of some dear friends and making real steps towards what I want to do in my post-Graduate life. I found a program that will allow me to volunteer in Sudan for either 6 weeks or 3 months, and it's pretty affordable. I've been wanting to do something like this for so long, at this point all I need to do is save the money for it! Granted, that's easier said than done, but it's something I really really want to do so I have to prioritize it. My whole tax refund is going into my "Africa fund" and I am making myself put a certain amount away every month so I figure by the end of summer, I should have more than enough saved.... so maybe by the fall -- if nothing drastic happens -- I'll be on my way! I'm really excited about this, I feel like this is really going to happen and that it's going to be one of those dramatic life-changing experience that will help shape the person I want to be. I can't wait!

I guess nothing new is happening. I was on a kick where I was trying to see all the Oscar films before the awards show, but I became lazy (and broke) so that sort of fell apart... though I have managed to see a few of them and will see one more on Sunday (Revolutionary Road) right before the show airs. I always get so giddy over the Oscars, inspite of myself. I can't help it. It's that little filmmaker inside of me whose heart still skips a beat over "movie magic".... the ghost of film school will never leave me, apparently.

And now I am looking forward to a relaxing weekend filled with studying, grocery shopping, and cleaning (with brief breaks spent having dinner with a friend and her parents and a Sunday date with Ms. Sarah Blair). No drinking or wild nights out; I think I need to give my nerves, pocket book, and general health a rest!

PS - My lovely friend Stavawn just had a lovely baby and I can't wait to visit them this coming week! Also, Mos Def is playing at the 930 Club this coming Monday... anyone interested in joining me?

No comments: