About Me

My photo
“It isn't enough for your heart to break because everybody's heart is broken now.” -Allen Ginsberg

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Africa Calling

OK, it's 1:30 AM and I'm still awake and unable to sleep -- which is unfortunate because Friday is supposed to be a long day involving getting up for work at 5:30 AM, going out to dinner with friends after work, seeing a movie in cold dark theater (which always makes me sleepy anyway), and whatever else... I'm definitely going to need a nap between getting out of work and going out to dinner. For serious.

But, onto other things: No, this is not another rant about Comcast... my apologies, by the way, to anyone who actually read that. I'm no less angry than I was when I wrote it, truth be told, but I realize how silly it is to be so upset about something you can't control -- especially something that doesn't matter all that much in the Big Picture.

And speaking of the Big Picture, I've made an important decision: no matter what promises I make to myself that I don't follow through on (and hopefully that list is relatively short), I will be volunteering overseas this year. My preference is Africa, either South or West. Saying "I want to make a difference" seems like such a cliche, but it's a true one -- though more importantly after reading a lot about the atrocities going on over there and watching various documentaries and talking to people who have done volunteer work already, I've decided it's time I stop talking about *wanting* to do something and actually *do* something. There are a few opportunities I'm looking into through AU's Amnesty International branch, but there are a few other organizations I'm looking into. I really want to volunteer in Sudan or Kenya, either with HIV/AIDS relief or volunteer in an orphanage or in some teaching/civil service position. I want to go as early as August or sometime in early fall. I'm really excited about it but there's so much to look into -- immunizations, updating my passport, saving up the money, figuring out what organization I want to work with and which opportunity is the best for me. I know that I'm still young, but I'm really not THAT young anymore and I keep feeling like I only have so many years that I'll be able to go out and do something like this. The older I become, the more obligations I'll have. After I graduate, especially, that will be the perfect window: I'll finally be able to do the things I have always wanted to do without too much holding me back -- no kids, no husband, no school. I don't want this to be one of those things I say I'll do one day and then look back years later and regret not making more of a contribution.

Anyway, that's what's on my mind. And that's what I'm putting my energy into -- at least, whatever energy is leftover from school kicking my ass. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

sarah said...

i'm so jealous of you. i've wanted to volunteer in africa for YEARS, probably since i was in 8th or 9th grade. actually ended up narrowing it down to one organization in particular last year, but i just didn't have the money for it. it's sad, really. i have that ACHE every time i see anything involving africa--i know that i HAVE to go someday--but the money that you have to shell out just to volunteer somewhere is ridiculous.

i love that you left that message for comcast. they deserve it, if you ask me. we have verizon fios and it's amazing... not that that helps you. haha. i don't think it's ANYWHERE in DC, is it? a friend of mine wanted it and they don't have it in his neighborhood either. how WOULD they? don't they have to put all of those "fiberoptic" wires underground? where would they put those in DC--under the... sidewalk?

maybe we SHOULD be resolution sponsors for each other. keep lists and report back to each other once a week or something maybe. what do you think? jessee's usually my encouragement, the one who keeps me accountable for these types of things, but he's... um, not here, clearly. haha.

oh, and what's going on next weekend and what day are we hanging out? because i'm confused and all i care about is seeing you.

Natacia K said...

sarah, i love you! first of all, i'm totally serious about being sponsors to each other. let's check in once a week and update each other on how we're doing on our resolutions. how about... every friday? i really like this idea. secondly, i'm looking for the least expensive volunteer opportunities possible, which is a challenge but i think i've found a few that seem fairly reasonable. but now all my money is going towards saving for that. i'm so excited about it! i've never done anything like that before and i know it's going to be soooo rewarding. thirdly, comcast is so ridiculous but they are finally sending someone here at no charge to bring the cables and set up the box. and they BETTER be here before lost premieres on wed night! and lastly, next weekend: i say you come over anytime you want on saturday. i told sarah p how to get to my apartment and i can give her further directions if/when she needs them. fri isn't really going to work for me now because i might be going to busboys & poets on u street with a couple of people so sat's the best bet. and come over early! let's spend the day together! <3 <3 <3

sarah said...

a $40 obama bobblehead? phew. it's shameful. the people buying these things probably can't even afford to feed their kids. GUH. i dunno... something about priorities is what i feel like saying here. haha

i get to see you in less than a week, and i can't even tell you how stoked i am about that. i've missed you far too much. are you still free on sunday-ish? did you still want me to spend the night?

sarah said...

oh, and i just read what you wrote here.

haha iiiii'm a little slow.

yes, every friday--that sounds like a plan. i'm heading to the gym right now so that i'll have something good to report back to you with, haha. <3 ohhhhh i love you!

sarah said...

amazing. i can't wait to wear my PJs and be girly and gossipy with you on saturday. you really don't know how pumped i am about this. it'll be the FIRST thing i've actually "done" since jessee left last month.

also, i know it's not friday, but i've been to the gym for the past 2 days and i am SO SO SO sore. wow. i've also eaten nothing but fiber, which is great for my diet but not so great for my tummy! hah. i'm eating really well for the next few days so that i can splurge on that chop't salad this weekend! :)

so... how's your relationship with comcast? haha