About Me

My photo
“It isn't enough for your heart to break because everybody's heart is broken now.” -Allen Ginsberg

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Stretch out and wait...

So it's been awhile, as per usual. I try to keep up with this blog but to be honest, I prefer my written journal and sometimes I even forget this thing exists. Sometimes, however, it feels good to put down my thoughts and aspirations out there for the world to see... like maybe the world is my therapist. And while I truly doubt anyone will want to read this thing, it's still nice to have it.



And now it's lunchtime and I'm spending it in my office, eating tomato soup and a bagel and sitting here in front of this computer. My office, by the way, now being NPR. So there's that new update, and it's nice to finally have school behind me and to be moving forward. Some days, I still feel stagnant because I'm still in the same general place I have been. There have been some great experiences, but nothing life shaking. I'm kind of ready for something big to happen, but I don't know what. I guess I'll know when it happens. There are moments where I think all I'm doing is watching other people live while I just sit back and play my part. Other times, I think that I put too much pressure on myself. I'm about to turn 26 and I guess that's kind of scary because I thought my life would be very different at this point. I'm not a kid anymore, but most days I don't really feel like I've truly step into the role as an "adult." I certainly don't feel as self-sufficient as I should be.



But hey, I do like my life. I am surrounded by people I care about and care about me, I have great music and books everywhere, and have rededicated myself to buying more records and, as such, I'm taking a break from iTunes albums and CDs. I've started running again. I'm going to try to drink less (I've been a bit crazy over the summer) and eat better. Last night, after an extremely long day, I came home to my puppy dog, curled up with him in bed, and listened to some old tunes by Bessie Smith, Erroll Garner, Count Basie, and Fats Waller and it was lovely. With me, it really is the small things.


And now it seems my lunch is drawing to a close, and so must this update. But before I go, a few recommendations for those who are interested. Two of the best movies I saw this summer were not blockbusters, but both were amazing in very different ways. If you have the opportunity, see The Hurt Locker and/or Away We Go. I saw them recently at the E Street Cinema and was taken by surprise by the flow of emotion each of these films stirred within me -- even the latter, which comes off as another one of those formulaic indie flicks that have been oh-so-popular the last few years. But if you look, you'll see something deeper with more heart. There's something that rings so true. And I thind you'd all love it. And if you don't, I kind of feel bad for the state of your heart. Now, as far as The Hurt Locker goes, words cannot express how strongly I feel about this film. So I won't even try. Just see it. And if you want a date, call me.

Music wise, I'm obsessed with The Replacements and Paul Westerberg right now. And Okkervil River. And The Troggs. Check 'em out. You won't regret it... I hope. Also, I am really excited about the Monsters of Folk album coming out in September consisting of M. Ward, Jim James (of My Morning Jacket), and Conor Oberst (who I love love LOVE as a solo artist but not so much as the frontman for Bright Eyes, which is a little too lo-fi for me). It's supposed to be amazing. I also need to check out the George Harrison tribute record Jim James put out. Ah, I love music!!!!!!!

And finally, book wise, I am in the middle of reading of two books that I can hardly put down: The Plague by Albert Camus and The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon (two authors I adore, by the way). Full reviews will possibly be posted when I am done... if I can remember to do so.

And now worker bees have to go back to buzzing. It's was nice spending my break with you.
Yours,
N

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello..
a found a great place to find nice products at wholesale rate at [url=http://50off.reviewazone.com/]50 % off[/url]
Have Fun